If you’re keen to learn to dive, the BSAC’s Ocean Diver course is the place to start. This entry-level open water diver qualification will equip you with the core skills to dive to a maximum of 20 metres in open water, in the UK and abroad.
The BSAC Ocean Diver course is open to anyone from the age of 12. However, we at the Bicester Sub-Aqua Club prefer to train people from 14 years of age upwards. This is partly due to kit size constraints and level of maturity. Junior members must also be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You’ll just need to demonstrate that you can comfortably swim 200m in a pool, and the only kit you’ll need is a swimsuit and towel.
If you sign up for the Ocean Divers course, you get the following included:
- One years National BSAC membership
- One years Bicester Sub-Aqua Club membership
- Free kit hire (excluding dry suits) and air fills up to the completion of your Ocean Diver course
- Ocean Diver Pack, containing all training materials, qualification log book and qualification card application
You will need to pay for the following:
- Entry fees to Stoney Cove or Chepstow National Diving & Activity Centre, where we do sheltered water training
- A set of Decompression Tables
- Dry suit hire for sheltered and open water dives. These can be hired from the sheltered water venues or local dive shops such as Aylesbury Scubaducks or Oxford Dive Centre
We also recommend that you purchase your own mask and snorkel, as everybody has a different shaped face. We can advise how to select the right mask and where to try and buy.
Adults (18 or over) £375
Junior (under 18) or Students £275
Our intake for the Ocean Diver course for 2020 is currently full. We are able to take bookings for the next course, which will start in January 2021.
Unfortuately we have a limited number of places on the Ocean Diver course each year. We start the courses in January, as this allows plenty of time for theory lessons and pool training until the water warms up enough to do sheltered location diving (around April) followed by open water diving from May onwards.